NWCG TASK BOOKS
To open a task book, the Chief of the Department needs to send an email to the Training Officer of SDWF and request that a task book be opened. Things that need to be included in the request:
Firefighter full name (First, Middle, Last)
Phone Number for Department or Contact
Task Book/Position Requested
Mailing Address for Task Book to be sent
Things to consider prior to request:
- Does the firefighter have the required training completed?
- Does the firefighter have more than 4 open task books, 1 per functional position?
- - IE: Plans, Operations, Finance, Logistics, Command, Aviation, etc.
- Does the firefighter have the time available to complete the task book within the 3 year period?
Do and Don’ts:
- Never give your task book to anyone- if you need to leave a task book for signatures, leave a copy and attach with the original when you get it back-Prefer that you make time to have tasks completed prior to leaving the incident and keep the book with you
- Consider making a copy of your task book as you get signatures in the book. Keep a copy in a safe place while working on the task book, lost task books are NOT going to be considered, NO exceptions
- When filling out a task book as the evaluator, you can only fill out for 1 position at a time.
- - IE: FFT1/ICT5- A firefighter can only fill one position at a time, if they are a FFT1, they can only work on tasks relevant to the FFT1 position, not ICT5 also. If they are working as an ICT5, they can only have tasks for that position completed.
- You need to have more than 1 Evaluator in your task book. For each incident, you can have multiple evaluators if you are on a fire multiple days, not multiple hours. You may work for 1 evaluator per worked shift. That doesn’t mean you find someone different for a 14 day event, these are looked at closely to see if they are truly relevant to completion of the task book. Good rule of thumb, no more than 2 evaluators per assignment.
- We would like to see 4 different assignments on your task book; this would include at least 1 assignment out of your IA area. If you are going to do task books, you are going to have to put some time and effort into them.
- IQSweb is updated when task books go through WF Training Office. Copies of cover page are attached to firefighter record when book is initiated. Completed task books will be attached when certification is completed.
Contact Robert Lehmann for more information at 605-393-4229.