Federal Excess Personal Property / Firefighter Property Programs

The State has access to Federal Excess Personal Property (FEPP) and Firefighter Property (FFP) from the U.S. Forest Service and loans it to various fire departments across South Dakota. Title for the equipment loaned to fire departments through the FEPP program remains with the Federal Government. Title for the equipment loaned to fire departments through the FFP program can be transferred after a specified time period. For more information about this program go to: U.S. Forest Service FEPP and FFP Information

Purpose of the Programs

Administered by the USDA Forest Service and the General Service Administration in cooperation with State Foresters, the programs provide cooperators a low-cost option for fire fighting equipment. Equipment that is no longer needed by the Federal Government but is suitable for conversion to fire service may be loaned to fire departments.

The State will acquire property for the rural fire departments of South Dakota through these programs. The receiving department is responsible for all costs associated with the acquisition, refurbishing and repair of the equipment they receive through the FEPP / FFP programs. If a department is having difficulty finding parts to refurbish / repair equipment, they can contact Monty Bollock at 605.381.7263.


What Equipment is Available?

Most of the property originally belonged to the Department of Defense (DoD) with trucks suitable for conversion to tankers or pumpers preferred. Other common items on loan include generators, pumps, fire hoses, breathing apparatus and personal protective clothing. Power units can be used to provide emergency lighting at fires or to keep radio base stations functioning; and water trailers can be converted for use as lavatories for large incidents. Although most property is on loan to fire departments, the State Foresters also use it within their state fire programs.


What is the Cost?

The fire department bears the cost of transportation, conversion, painting, storage and maintenance, and insurance; but there is no direct charge for property. Much of the property requires extensive rehabilitation to convert it from its previous configuration into fire service equipment, but the cost of conversion is much less than the purchase of comparable equipment.


Who May Participate?

Qualifying emergency services agencies may participate. State Foresters have cooperative agreements with the USDA Forest Service under which they administer the FEPP / FFP programs; and they, in turn, maintain agreements with qualifying fire departments. To qualify for this program, an agency must meet a number of requirements established by the USDA Forest Service and the State Foresters. One requirement common to all states is providing fire protection and emergency services on lands within the department's jurisdiction.

Before obtaining FEPP/FFP equipment, an authorized official of the fire department must agree to the following:

For more information, please contact:

Joannah Tornow

Chief of Administration





605-123-4567 | Contact us! | Twitter | Facebook